Sunday, July 17, 2011

Spanish Sunbathing - a little different than the US!

(Warning: dad and brothers - you probably don't want to read this post! :)

There are so many ways I've adapted to European life, but one of the most unexpected would have to be my new-found love of topless sunbathing!

When moving to Spain two years ago, I was instantly surprised by the number of naked breasts I would see on the beach. I'd always heard that Europeans were much less concerned with nudity than Americans, but it was still a shock to see! I mean, they were everywhere at any beach I went to! I was constantly amazed by the self-confidence of women to be topless, whether they were laying down, walking around, or just hanging out.

Tessa and I visited a hammam in Istanbul in November and it was quite an experience for both us! If you happen to have any self-esteem issues with your body (as most women do), I highly suggest going to a hammam! There's nothing like being 100% naked, surrounded by other naked women, including your friends, and being quite literally scrubbed down, spread-eagle, by large Turkish women. Wow - talk about liberating! After this experience, Tessa and I both felt much more comfortable in our own (glowing :) skin.

After going to the hammam and being on Spanish beaches, I truly realized just how different everyone's body is - when they are exposed everywhere, you can't help but notice it! And I love how women of literally all shapes and sizes are comfortable enough to lay out without their top - it's fascinating and somewhat empowering as well!

So over the past few months, I've definitely converted to the European way of sunbathing. As someone who has always been extra self-conscious about how little I have, this is a huge step for me! And frankly, it's wonderful -- so much more comfortable, natural, and easier when it comes to tanning. I don't think I'll be one to walk around, or swim, or play volleyball topless, but when it comes to laying on a beach towel and soaking up the sun, it's the best. Hey - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em - right?! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment