Saturday, July 30, 2011

Change

In the past few years, I have really realized how much I both love and hate change. The excitement and anticipation that something new is coming and that you get to essentially start over again is one that I love! Yet, life not feeling the same, people changing, and starting over again can be SO scary as well!

As much as I love to make changes for myself, I've often struggled when others have made changes that have indirectly affected me. For example, friends moving away, getting married, or having babies - changes that are so positive and that I am so happy about, yet also feel sad because I know things will no longer be the same as they used to be.

It was so exciting to essentially start my life over in Sevilla two years ago, then do it again in Barcelona this year. I loved the anticipation of all the new experiences I would have, the people I would meet, the things I would see. And it was great! Yet, I have no desire, at all, to start over again anytime soon. As wonderful as that type of change can be, it's also terrifying and exhausting at the same time. As much as I love big changes, I equally love feeling settled, developing friendships, and feeling like I'm home.

But, with beginning a new year (for teachers, it feels like our "new year" always begins in August, not January :) that doesn't involve any huge changes like moving across the world or across a country - something I am VERY grateful for - it seems I still feel the need for some changes to happen.

Although I was hesitant at first, due to absolutely loving my apartment and living on my own, I am SO excited to be moving in with Tessa in a few days! A new (and much bigger!) space to call home, an apartment ideal for socializing with friends, and a place to start making new memories could not be coming at a better time. And with our personalities, I have no doubt we will have a lot of fun living together.

Visiting new places, experiencing different cultures, and seeing new landscapes is a change I crave. For this reason, I am SO excited to be going to Switzerland next week - a country that I envision being like Colorado on steroids - a place unlike any I've seen before. The added bonus of getting to visit a part of Italy I've never seen and spending ten days with one of my favorite traveling companions makes it even more exciting.

And finally, a physical change. Every time I go to get my haircut, my mom asks what I'm going to do. For ten years now, my response has been something like, "Oh, just a trim, take off an inch or two." And her response almost always sounds something like, "Oh - pretty risky, Jenny!" I've been thinking about a change for awhile, but have really loved having long hair. I knew I would back out if I took too long to decide, so after encouragement from friends (especially one Anna Morgan, "Your hair is thick, voluminous, and prosperous, and if you hate it, it will grow back - carpe diem!" Love you and your adjectives, Anna - thanks!), I went for it. In the spirit of summertime, a new year, and a new look, I got A LOT of my hair cut off yesterday! For the first time in about ten years, I can't say that I have long hair -- yikes! They actually called it a "transformation" cut! It feels completely different, I think I love it.

Changes can come in all shapes and sizes - new places to visit, a new home, a new job, a new relationship, a new addition to the family, a new philosophy on life, a new look. Although it's not always positive, and sometimes it's scary, I love what change can bring - a chance to reinvent yourself, gain confidence, experience something new, and ultimately, a chance to grow as a person. I already look forward to the other changes this new year will bring . . .

" Continuity gives us roots; change gives us branches, letting us stretch and grow and reach new heights. "
~Pauline R. Kezer

No comments:

Post a Comment