Friday, April 16, 2010

Flamenco Anyone?

Last post today - I promise! During my time in Seville, I have gone from not especially enjoying flamenco music to absolutely loving it. I think it's been hearing it everywhere, having it sung to me by my favorite man at the markets, and the show Liz, Kevin, and I happened upon at La Tasca that have created a bit of an obsession in me.

Flamenco is a HUGE part of Feria (the week-long party/fair that Seville is also famous for), which begins late Monday night. So, I decided I wanted to find some tunes to start listening to. I highly recommend this group - Ojos de Brujo - in case you want to check some out! It's traditional, yet has a more modern edge - I love the album titled "Bari." You can't help but want to tap your feet or clap your hands a little. (Check out their website below.) Enjoy! xx

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jenny: Ojos de Brujo doesn't do flamenco, and the music at the fair is sevillanas, a couple dance named for the city of Seville. Try seek out some flamenco, I think you will enjoy it much more. In September the world's most important flamenco festival begins in Seville, there you will have the chance to see some wonderful artists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughts, Anonymous! I can't wait to try some Sevillanas this week - I think they will be a great variation from the typical flamenco I have seen in Sevilla, although Sevillanas are very similar to flamenco. Although "Ojos de Bruja" might not be typical flamenco, I do believe they are a style of flamenco, as their website says . . .

    ReplyDelete