Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas at ASB

Since the school year began, I've been comparing a lot of what happens at ASB to the only other school I've known - Crawford. As I've mentioned, there have been a lot more similarities than I expected, especially with the students and learning. However, today I was reminded of just how different teaching in an international private school is than a high-poverty public school!

Our gift from the school was a lote - a fairly typical holiday present in Spain. It's a box filled with red wine, cava, and turron - pretty much a perfect gift for me! We also had an amazing lunch at school, complete with wine and cava as well. Instead of well-loved toys or statues of Mary, I received tons of chocolate, handmade cards, really nice jewelry, and knit scarves from my students. I love everything I received, but I definitely miss some of those Crawford gifts . . .

An absolutely hilarious white elephant gift exchange in my class (I will forever remember Pablo being a great sport about getting a stuffed bunny in a basket!), followed by breakfast and "Diary of a Wimpy Kid," made for a pretty fantastic last school day of 2010. I can't wait to see what 2011 will have in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment