Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Travel and Optimism

My parents, knowing me oh so well, recently sent me Paul Theroux's The Tao of Travel. Theroux shares thoughts about travel through the published pieces of many others. It's been so interesting to read about different perspectives and ideas about travel, particularly based on when and where the author was traveling.

As a lover of travel and an eternal optimist, these two quotations below struck me the most so far. I look forward to reading more!

"Travel, its very motion, ought to suggest hope. Despair is the armchair; it is indifference and glazed, incurious eyes. I think travelers are essentially optimists, or else they would never go anywhere." - from Fresh Air Fiend

"Travel is at its most rewarding when it ceases to be about your reaching a destination and becomes indistinguishable from living your life." - from Ghost Train to the Eastern Star

1 comment:

  1. "Travel, its very motion, ought to suggest hope." Coming from a homebound and sheltered upbringing, I identify with the energy of this quote. I recently got 'bit by the travel bug' and am excitedly enthusiastic about who I am to become and see and experience because of it. Soooo much possibility. Reading through some of your blog posts, I am inspired. What an adventure! Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete