Thursday, July 19, 2012

And the roller coaster begins . . .

Well, having Lauren visit was just as great as expected! We had SO much fun - exploring the city, enjoying tapas and drinks, going to the beach, and sightseeing. However, the best part for me was definitely just being together. Not since we lived together in Denver (circa 2005) have we had that much time to just hang out and talk. Although we cover a lot over the phone, it's the big details we share, not the small ones. It was so wonderful to just be together and have many meaningful, and pointless, conversations. Without a doubt, this trip confirmed that we really are "best friends forever." :)

At the nighttime tour of Gaudi's La Pedrera - we loved it!

Whenever I have visitors, I always seem to feel a little off balance.  At times I have to remind myself that I really am still in Barcelona, not at home. It's amazing how quickly we can pick up where we left off. I had a feeling I might be a bit sad when Lauren left this morning . . . and I was right. Getting to spend so much time together and having so much fun, followed by honestly not knowing the next time we will see each other causes a mix of emotions. Of course it's more than worth it, but it doesn't make it any easier in the moment.


I haven't been home in over a year, so the fact that I leave tomorrow for the US is pretty crazy, too! I've been packing up and trying to wrap my head around the fact I'll be gone for three weeks while visiting four different cities. I'm also trying to prepare myself for the emotional roller coaster that has just begun. I'm SO excited to see my family and friends, spend time catching up, enjoy favorite foods, and visit particular places. However, if this visit is anything like my previous ones, I know leaving is going to be equally difficult. Knowing I chose to live so far away and the fact that my choices make other people sad causes me to feel so much guilt (even though I know my friends and family support my decisions - thank you!). I can kind of ignore this when we're apart, but it's so not so easy in person. 


The older I get (or the longer I'm gone?) the harder these hellos and goodbyes seem to be - saying goodbye to Liz, Indy, and Michael last summer about did me in! So as I pack my bags and double-check that I have everything I need, I'm doing my best to concentrate on the positive feelings and excitement and just accept that some sadness has to go along with them. My roller coaster ride continues tomorrow morning and I know it's going to be a lot of fun before I reach the end :)


No comments:

Post a Comment