Sunday, September 18, 2011

La Merce 10K

I decided to run the La Merce 10K again this year - although this time I actually registered instead of just jumping in. :) It's one of (if not the) biggest races in Barcelona. There are 14,000 registered runners, plus those who jump in.

Again, it was fantastic! Although I didn't train at all, I was pretty happy with my time and really enjoyed it. I was reminded again of how much I love the atmosphere of races - the people, the energy, the music. Runs in Spain are definitely different than the US, but still so much fun. Since I haven't run that distance since last year's race, I'm already anticipating some stiff legs tomorrow!

Tons of people starting near Montjuic

Tanya, Heather, and I before the race

This run kicks off La Merce. The La Merce Festival is known to be the week-long party that officially ends summer in Barcelona. When Anna, Katie, Serena, and I visited Barcelona two years ago, we just happened to come on La Merce weekend. Although we had no idea what was really going on, I vividly remember lots of fireworks, lots of people, and lots of beer! I was in Germany last year for Oktoberfest, so I'm really looking forward to experiencing this weekend - especially because many of the festivities happen pretty close to where we live!

There are concerts happening nightly, as well as lots of other small events. I'm most looking forward to seeing castellars (human castles, up to 8 people high!) and the correfoc (fire parades which I hope to not get too close to!). I have a feeling it's going to be a very fun weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment