Sunday, September 15, 2013

A new year, a new role

This past week, I started my 12th year of teaching - wow! I can look back at old class photos and still vividly remember my very first group of students (many of whom are now in college!), my nervousness on the first day, and all of the ups and downs of that first year. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago! But it was.

This year, for the first time ever, I don't have my own class. And it's been rough! Although it was nice to not have to prepare a classroom and worry about supplies, student lists, and first day of school activities, a part of me missed every one of those things. I LOVE being a teacher and I love working with kids every day.

Luckily,  I will be doing just that again very soon, even if in a different capacity. It's hard to believe, but after a four year hiatus, I'm back in the role of a literacy coach! Many hours were spent this summer on preparing for this role and essentially creating it for ASB, something I've never done before. And it's so exciting to be part of this transition! I am learning SO much everyday as I prepare to work with students and teachers from kindergarten through grade 5.

So although it's a bittersweet time for me at the moment, caught between missing my own class and the excitement of my new role, I couldn't be happier. And as Scott Robison told me this summer, this new position means I have the potential to effect twelve classes of students, not just one. And that's pretty awesome to think about.

2 comments:

  1. and that you are doing very very well. I've already talked with teachers who say this is one of the best starts to a school year at ASB!!

    ReplyDelete