Saturday, August 20, 2011

Switzerland - the opposite of Spain? Almost!


The hills are alive with the sound of music . . .

Since Emily moved to Switzerland two years ago I've been dying to visit her. From her stories and pictures to "The Sound of Music," I always wondered what it would be like. Although I had some expectations, I have to admit that it fully surpassed them!

First of all, Switzerland is definitely the most naturally beautiful place I have ever been. The mountains, the lakes, the rolling green hills, the colorful flowers found everywhere - wow. Many times it seemed like I was looking at photo-shopped pictures! From what Emily told me, it's clear that Swiss customs have kept the country looking so beautiful. The rules and regulations regarding laundry, garbage, recycling, etc. are pretty impressive!

Such quiet, clean streets, even after Swiss Day!

I imagine Switzerland also keeps out too many tourists (purposefully or not?) due to the cost of things. Emily had always said it was expensive there, so I was expecting it. However, it proved to be even more so than I imagined! For example, a beer usually cost around 7 swiss francs, which is about equal to the euro. A kebab - 10, take-out Chinese - 18, a bus ticket - 2.80, a train ticket - 20-240! Wow. It really was shocking. Unless you are being paid accordingly (or happen to have a lot of money), there is no way someone could spend very long in Switzerland.

I was also amazed by the trust and safety there. Very few people lock up their bikes, watch their bags, or lock their doors. It just seems to be known that people won't take what isn't theirs. Amazing! In addition, people were so helpful and friendly. If we were lost, someone would quickly offer to help.

Bikes were everywhere! And I think 90% of them weren't locked up!

I also began to really enjoy hearing Swiss-German. In general, I don't particularly like the sound of the German language. However, Swiss-German has such a sing-song quality to it - it really grew on me, even though I had no idea what was being said! And, like in most European countries, it was so impressive to know that these people understood so many languages. (Apparently Swiss-German is only a spoken language, so most Swiss also speak/read/write high German, as well as English, French, and Italian, depending on what region they live in.)

I loved Switzerland - I felt like I was on a mountain holiday while there! The quietness, the fresh air, the natural beauty - it was incredible. Yet another reason I love living in Europe - a 1.5 hour flight and I can be in a place where the landscape, the people, the foods, the language, and the lifestyle can be completely different, yet equally fantastic.

However, in so many ways, Switzerland almost seemed to be the opposite of Spain. And, at the end of the day, I was ready to be back here - the noise, the energy, the 2 euro beers, the sea. All of these things, for me, make up for the fact that I have to watch my purse at all moments, that the streets might not be clean, that tourists are everywhere, and that most things aren't exactly efficient! Oh, Espana - I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment