Saturday, August 20, 2011

Italy - amazing time after time!

Our recent trip to Cinque Terre confirmed the fact that there are few places I enjoy as much as Italy. Time and time again, I have loved every place I have visited there - Venice, Florence, Siena, Milan, Sardinia, and now Cinque Terre.

What made this trip so amazing? I think it was many things. First of all, the location was incredible. On the coast, yet built into the hills, "the 5 lands" could not have been more beautiful. The sea was stunning shades of blue, the hills so green, and the weather perfect. It was amazing. The fact that towns were full of multi-colored buildings just added to the postcard look of the place.

the view from our balcony in Monterosso


hiking into Vernazza


boats could be found everywhere, especially in Riomaggiore

I had anticipated that Cinque Terre would be full of tourists as well. Although there were plenty of them, most seemed to be Italian. The towns were bustling, but it was never overwhelming. I loved hearing Italian everywhere, particularly the old men yelling across the street to one another. The intonation, the words, the way people speak - I think I love Italian as much as I love Spanish.

Considering one of my most favorite foods is pesto, it's no wonder I loved Cinque Terre - a region known for it's pesto (due to the climate). I have never tasted such fresh, delicious pesto sauce in my life. I made it a personal mission to have at least one dish a day with pesto and I'm happy to say I accomplished my goal. :) In addition to that, the mozzarella, tomatoes, citrus fruits, wines, everything was delicious. And even better, it was so reasonable!

One of my favorite meals - pasta with pomodoro, parmigiana, and pesto.

Cinque Terre was such a relaxing place to be - whether sitting on our balcony reading, laying on the beach, or hiking between the five towns, I felt at peace. Needless to say, we were very sad to leave. I have no doubt that I will be back in Cinque Terre soon!

Our last night in Monterosso :(

No comments:

Post a Comment