Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Holidays in Thailand

Since moving abroad, I've had the chance to celebrate the holidays in a variety of places: Sevilla, Milan, Denver, Barcelona, London, and Morocco. This year took me to my farthest destination yet - Thailand!

Only in the past year or so has traveling to Asia really started to interest me. After hearing many stories from friends about the food, the beaches, and the inexpensiveness, Thailand began to sound more and more appealing. And as soon as I found out it was at the top of Dani's travel list, we started to seriously consider going. A little research and a few conversations later, tickets were booked!

We decided to spend all of my winter break there, giving us just over two full weeks there together. Dani opted to stay an additional 10 days (he's enjoying Chiang Mai as I type this :). We wanted to see quite a bit and I definitely wanted some time on the beach. Our final itinerary included nights in:
  • Bangkok
  • Ayutthaya
  • Ko Tao
  • Ko Phi Phi
  • Ko Lanta 
What an adventure we had! It was so fun to explore a country that is so different than anywhere I've been before, yet also so full of similarities.There's SO much I could share about these two weeks - we learned a lot and had such a great time. And in person, I would love to! Here are just a couple of highlights for those I might not see in the immediate future:

Bangkok
Although crazy and full of people, we really enjoyed our time here, albeit short. The temples were stunning and full of great photo angles. We both wish we had more time to explore this city!

some of my favorites at the Grand Palace

Reclining Buddha

Wat Pho

Buddha, after Buddha, after Buddha

Taking almost every mode of transportation possible - 
plane, train, ferry, catamaran, bus, car, moto, tuk tuk

  
The food! I loved that fresh fruit and fruit shakes could be found everywhere! My favorite dishes included: pad thai, green curry, tom yum soup, stir fried chicken with cashew nuts, banana pancakes, papaya salad, and mango sticky rice - yum!

fresh pomegranate juice
tom yum soup

pad thai with chicken

green curry

stir fried chicken with cashew nuts

Ko Lanta - recommended by both Tessa and Hayley, this island was definitely our favorite. Long white beaches, Thai massage stands every 100 meters (each cost about 6€), Bob's Bar, sunshine every day - it was wonderful!

the view every evening

lush jungles and the sea

elephants!

gorgeous sunsets

Bob!
I have no doubt I'll be returning to Thailand in the future - I feel like this was just the beginning of my Asian adventures. I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment