Saturday, February 5, 2011

Money, Money, Money!

I vividly remember writing a blog while in Sevilla about the stress of earning so little money last year. Never in my life had I been so concerned about if I would have enough money to pay rent or to eat. Before leaving Sevilla, I determined that I made about 8,000 euros ($10,000) in my year there - less than half of what I've earned since graduating from college!

Although I hope to never be in a similar financial situation again, I have to say that I think that experience was one of the best that could have happened to me. I'm constantly surprised by how often co-workers complain about how little money we make in Barcelona. Yes, it's a more expensive place to live, and yes, we don't get nearly the benefits that teachers in other international schools might (paid flights home, paid rent and utilities, crazy high salaries), but it's certainly enough to live comfortably on (in an amazing city!) and still get to do a bit of traveling.

I wonder - if I had not had the experience I did last year, would I think the same thing? Of course, I would love to make more money! I have TONS of debt to pay off, which is preventing me from saving and traveling as much as I would like, but I'm feeling pretty lucky financially, especially in comparison.

It's just another reminder to me that life is all about perspective. If I could go back in time, I wish I had an experience like that 10 years ago - I think it would have changed my spending habits much earlier (which I know my dad would have really loved! :). But, since I can't, I'll just remind myself that I don't have to go out to dinner too often, or buy everything at Mango rebajas, or travel constantly, as nice as those things might be. And maybe someday, I 'll actually manage to save some money . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment