Saturday, February 5, 2011

A year and a half later, and still SO in love with Spain!


In the past few weeks, I have had a number of conversations with people - co-workers, ASB students, my English student - about life in Spain. It's hiring time at the moment, so many people have been making decisions about whether to move or stay at ASB, which often leads to the question: How long do you think you'll stay in Barcelona?

It's interesting to hear people's response to this. More often than not, people expected to stay for a year or two, but it turned into many more. Barcelona seems to have that effect on people! I've been asked this question a lot as well. My response? I know that I'll be here for at least two years and (don't read this, mom!) I could easily see myself spending much, much longer here. I love it!

My English student (a 21-year-old Catalan who lived in Houston for three months and thinks it's the best city ever) is always asking me why I like living in Spain and what the differences are in life. I've been thinking about this a lot recently - why do I love it here so much? It's a combination of big and little things. I'm sure some of them seem ridiculous, but for whatever reason, they make me love this place! Here's a few of them:

*Spanish lifestyle - it's what brought me here in the first place! The importance of living over working, enjoying time with friends and family as much as possible, living every day to the fullest (meaning sleeping in, late dinners, and even later nights!), and life revolving around food and drinks. Does everyone in Spain live this way? Of course not! But the majority of people I've met share these values.

*Spanish - I love it. As I've written before, I'm kind of obsessed with learning Spanish. I love the intonation of the language, the way people speak so expressively, the literal translations of many words to English. As someone who's not very loud and doesn't use a lot of slang, I feel like I can be a different person when I speak Spanish (poco a poco!) and I love it!

*Travel - it's so easy. I feel like Europe is a treasure chest of places to visit. There are just so many amazing destinations that are so close! And it's obviously so much cheaper to travel when living within Europe.

*Diversity - Barcelona, in particular, is such an international place. I love seeing people from so many different countries and cultures living in one place. There are so many styles, looks, and languages!

*Fashion - although I often miss the casualness of Colorado, I love how much style and fashion are valued here. In general, people just look so put together. And it's affordable! I hope to someday truly embody the Spanish look - boots, scarves, tights, and tunic-style dresses being the key pieces!

*Tax included and no tipping - what the price on a menu or clothing tag says is what you pay. Call me lazy, but I like not having to think about it. :)

*Walking - between the size of cities and public transportation, Spanish (and most European) cities are built for walking. This means people are constantly outside and getting exercise. I love this! Although a car might be nice at times, it's even nicer to not need one or have to worry about everything that goes with it. And there are so many options for public transportation - bikes, buses, metros, and trains.

*A culture of reading - I think it's connected to time on public transportation, but I love how often you see people reading here! On the metro, on the bus, in a cafe, on a park bench. People are always reading.

*No more smoking! - This was one of my few complaints about Spain, but since January 1st, it's no longer an issue in bars and restaurants. Yea!

Well, that's my list for today! I often wonder if there will be a day when these things don't hold the appeal they do now . . . Until then, I plan to continue enjoying them as much as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment