Friday, January 22, 2010

Andalucian Slang - oh, how I love it!

I've talked to a number of people from home this week and one of their first questions is always, "So, are you fluent in Spanish yet?" to which I always have to sadly reply, "Not even close."

I know my Spanish has improved immensely over the past few months - there's no way it couldn't have! However, it is nowhere near where I would like it to be. I think this is the case for a couple of reasons:

*Although I speak Spanish with my roommates, waiters, people in the streets, etc., the majority of my day is still in English. I spend time planning in English for the lessons I'm going to teach, then spend about 5 hours a day teaching in English.

*My closest friends here are all native English speakers because we met during CELTA training. In addition, we actually understand what each other is saying, which makes us that much closer.

*When speaking with people that are bilingual, they will usually switch to English if they know that is the language I understand better. I wish they would continue speaking in Spanish, but I understand why they don't.

*Although I would consider myself a very productive person in general, I am not a very self-motivated studier. I'll take out my Spanish book or try to do some work on the internet, but I get distracted very easily. I think taking a private lesson (when I have some extra money) would be a great investment because someone would be holding me accountable for learning.

*And finally, I think I don't use nearly enough Spanish slang. Being someone who rarely uses English slang, this isn't exactly surprising. But in Seville, it's essential and it's part of what makes me love the culture here even more. My newest goal is to start incorporating more of it into conversation.

So, hopefully the next time you talk to me, you'll hear some of these phrases . . .

*digame/dime - talk to me (used when answering the phone, in stores, and to start a conversation)
*claro - clear
*vale - ok
*que tal? - what's happening/going on? (to which no response is really necessary, yet I still continue to give one!)
*que guap@ - beautiful, handsome, honey (this seems to be used as a term of physical appreciation, as well as one of endearment)
*que chula - that's really cool
*que fuerte - used in response to something negative (The bus was late? Que fuerte.)
*puta madre - "that's the s***"
*no pasa nada - don't worry about it
*no te preocupes - don't worry about it



¿Vale?




1 comment:

  1. I also enjoy Que feo. It was really great to talk to you the other day! We will def have to do it again some time!
    <3 Jessica

    ReplyDelete