Friday, January 29, 2010

Suave Spaniards and Italian Stallions

Keep it in the locker room, boys!

It's no secret that Latin and Italian men are stereotypically known for their "machismo." After about 10 days in Italy and 6 months in Spain, my experiences have led me to believe that this isn't a stereotype, but a fact.

It constantly amazes me how men make no secret of their appreciation of women through what they say, the looks they give, and their body language! Part of me loves it, too. Overall, I think it's just a cultural thing and is generally harmless. You can't help but smile when a 60-year-old man says, "Que guapa, que simpatica, que bonita," when you're walking down the street!

It's when a man who is obviously with his girlfriend or wife and turns around to continue watching another woman walking down the street or makes kissing sounds at you that makes it not quite so endearing.

I was in Italy this past weekend and had two uncomfortable interactions with men. One was while sitting in a coffee shop in Milan. I was just reading a book and enjoying a glass of wine when a man (who I later realized was quite drunk) came up and began speaking to me in rapid-fire Italian, which I don't understand at all. I tried to be polite, then I tried to ignore him. Neither seemed to work and he eventually grabbed my hand and kissed it, as well as continuously tried to touch my hair and back. On what level is that EVER okay - especially on a Saturday afternoon in a coffee shop?!

Then, while on the plane from Milan to Seville, I happened to be sitting next to a Spanish man. We were talking for a little bit (it was 6:30am, so I was trying to talk as little as possible) and then he handed me his business card and asked if I wanted to get coffee or go out sometime in Seville. I told him I was just visiting someone in Milan and didn't think so. He then proceeded to grab my hand and kiss it, lay a hand on my leg, and hug me at the end of the flight! What?! Not okay!

I love the affection in these cultures, but I really didn't like either of these situations. So, Suave Spaniards and Italian Stallions, feel free to give girls a "Guapa" or "Bella" but leave the creepy touching behind . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment