Friday, January 8, 2010

Oh, to be a European citizen!

The Canals of Venice

A Copy of Michelangelo's David

Milan's Duomo

After my recent trip to Italy, I can't stop thinking about how much I wish I had EU citizenship (in addition to, not instead of the US :)! It's just amazing to me that after a 2.5 hour flight, I was in a country with a different language, culture, geography and history. And Italy was only 1 of about 50 different options! In the US, that's like flying from Indiana to Colorado -- definitely two very different places, yet not in quite the same way . . .

There is just so much within Europe that fascinates me! As cheesy as it sounds, when I was in Italy, I had many moments when I realized that I was actually in the place where Michelangelo sculpted David, where "The Godfather" series was based, where tons of religious history began, and more. It's so different than just reading about in a book or watching it in a movie.

After a trip like that, I have a feeling that my time in Europe will extend more than a year. There is just so much to see, learn about, and experience! It's much easier (and cheaper) to do so while living in Europe than in the US. Now I just need to work on the whole visa situation . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment