Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Poems in our Pockets

At ASB this week, elementary students are preparing for St. Jordi - a Catalan holiday celebrated on April 23rd. Although I don´t know all the details of this day yet, but dragons, roses, books, and a knight are involved in the legend.

Our students are celebrating with a HUGE focus on literacy this week, which I love! Everyday, students do something a little different. Today, students have to carry a "poem in their pocket" and be prepared to read it for anyone who asks. We had a lot of fun choosing poems yesterday. As usual, Shel Silverstein was the favorite of many kids.

As students were choosing poems, I decided to do the same. Although there are so many poems that I love, the first one I thought of is this one below. It´s a classic that seems to be very fitting at this moment in my life . . .

The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;


Then took the other, just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,


And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.


I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment