Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tunisia

This past weekend I was lucky enough to attend a conference in Tunisia! It was the MAIS (Mediterranean Association of International Schools) conference, which is held every year. It was SO wonderful to be part of professional learning again and was made even better by the fact that it was in Africa!

My trip to Tunis was my first experience in an Arabic speaking and Muslim country - it was fascinating! I don't think North Africa is the "Africa" most people think of - it's drastically different. The main languages spoken are Arabic and French - neither of which I understand much more than a word of! Just looking at signs, listening to the radio in cabs, and trying to understand people when speaking was an experience. It was so interesting to see how some women were completely covered, while others wore very modern clothes.

The architecture, colors, spices, pottery, shops, and food were wonderful. There was so much to see and do, even in the short time we were there. This brief trip made me even more excited to go to Istanbul in two weeks and confirmed that I must get to Morocco soon. Oh, the places I hope to go!

So many of the doors in Tunis and
Sidi Bou Said were picture worthy!


Beautiful (and cheap!) pottery could be found in many souks.


I loved the colors and smells in the spice shops!


I think Arabic looks so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment