Sunday, October 3, 2010

Life at ASB



It’s hard to believe that a month has passed since I first started school! To say it’s had it’s ups and down would be an understatement. I had forgotten what it feels like to be the “new kid” at school! Learning new curriculum, new routines, and new expectations has been quite an experience.

More than anything, my experience so far has made me so appreciative of APS - their curriculum and pacing guides, resources, and professional development. For anyone who’s complained about having so much already planned for you, I have to say that it’s so much better than the alternative! It might sound fantastic to be told you can teach pretty much anything you want, but in reality, it’s so not easy. Figuring out what to teach with the limited resources you have is quite a challenge.
However, it’s definitely getting easier. I finally have an idea of what I’ll be teaching for the year and am trying to combine what I know with what I’m learning every day. I also have more planning time than ever, which is great, but so little time to teach, which is not. My life/school balance is still so much better than before.

And, most importantly, the people I work with and my students are just incredible. In the past week, I’ve had parents complain about the fact I’m not giving their children enough homework and my class ordered over 400 euros of books from Scholastic. Needless to say, things are a bit different!

Hopefully, October will be a great month. ASB’s Halloween party is of epic proportions – students and staff are already getting their costumes! It should be a fun couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment