Saturday, October 24, 2009

My New Favorite Way to Learn Spanish? Bodega Tours!




Emily and I have visited many a winery in our travels together and we continued that tradition in Spain this week! She and I, as well as two other friends, went down to Sanlucar de Barrameda to enjoy a little sunshine, scenery, and sherry! We visited the Barbadillo Bodega and it was one of the best wine tours I've been on. Barbadillo makes a fantastic white wine that I've had in Seville numerous times. They are also known for their manzanilla - a specific type of sherry that can only be made in Sanlucar due to the temperature and humidity of the region. After visiting the bodega's museum and taking many pictures with cardboard cut-outs (who knew a museum could provide so much fun?!), we started our tour. The tour was all in Spanish and our guide did a wonderful job of slowing down, gesturing, and adapting her language for us. I actually felt like I understood about 85% of what was said - it was amazing! After learning lots about the wine and seeing the old church and convent that were converted into the winery, we were able to sample as much as we wanted of the white wine, manzanilla, and desert sherry. It was fantastic! If only I could go on daily tours of bodegas to increase my Spanish abilities . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment