Monday, October 5, 2009

My Current Love/Hate Relationships with Seville

As most of you know, I definitely love just about everything in regards to living in Spain. However, there are a few things that I simultaneously love and hate at the same time! At the moment, they include:

*Leisurely Pace of Life*
I love that no one is in a rush and in general everyone takes their time. It forces you to relax, which for someone like me is a really good thing. However, if you ever are in a bit of a hurry (when walking down the street, at a restaurant, or in a store), it can be a little frustrating!

*The Double-Cheek Kiss*
I love that this is the way Spanish people greet and say goodbye to one another. I think it's very warm and personal. Unfortunately, it's my own awkwardness that makes me hate it sometimes! I'm never quite sure if it's going to happen (i.e. greeting other Americans) or where I should put my hand (do I still shake hands? put it on their arm?). Hopefully I'll get the hang of it soon!

*Lack of Environmental Awareness*
I'm constantly amazed by how people throw trash on the streets, don't pick up after their dogs (right next to my bedroom window), and urinate everywhere! It's not that everything is dirty, but it could definitely be cleaner - ugh! I suppose I love the street cleaners, who are like none I've ever seen. Almost everything is picked up within 24 hours, but it could so be prevented. The US has definitely got Spain beat on this one!

*Smoking*
There's nothing I love about smoking, but part of me loves the Spanish attitude about it. As a Spanish friend told me, "I'm healthy in all other aspects of my life - smoking is my vice and I love it." This definitely seems to be a consensus in Andalucia - there are tobacco shops everywhere! I hate to be around it (and the way it makes my lungs hurt), but I don't mind it nearly as much as I thought I would.

*Dressed-Up Women*
I love how put-together women look here. They often literally look perfect from head to toe. However, they always look this way! At 8:00 in the morning, at the grocery store, going to the gym. It's a lot of pressure - especially for someone who prefers to dress-down most of the time! Needless to say, no Target cotton shorts are allowed out of the house . . . :)

*The Weather*
I love that it's October and I can still wear shorts and a tank top during the day. People are still enjoying cervecitas on restaurant patios and never need jackets. However, after the hellish heat in August and part of September, I feel very ready for some cooler temperatures. I've never wanted to wear jeans and long-sleeved shirts more! Especially because I know in the US it's fall, football is on, and ski resorts are opening . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment