Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rome

I fell in love with Italy the instant Anna and I arrived in Venice two and half years ago. I've been lucky enough to visit Florence, Milan, Sardinia, and Cinque Terre since then and have consistently been amazed by just how different,yet wonderful, each city is. A recent weekend trip to Rome confirmed this yet again.

The history in Rome has always fascinated me - movies/shows like Gladiator, Spartacus, and Rome make life at that time seem so violent, intense, and interesting. Watching those scenes is one thing, but actually seeing the ruins in reality was jaw-dropping! Walking through the Coliseum is easily one of the most memorable moments I've had in Europe so far. It's easy to imagine the battles taking place inside, the people shouting, the much-anticipated thumbs-up or thumbs-down. It was amazing to see how a building built in 69 A.D. is actually still recognizable and so well-preserved.

The Coliseum


In addition to the Coliseum and Roman ruins (everywhere!), the religious importance of Rome was equally amazing to experience. It's so interesting to me how such different, yet pivotal, events in world history happened in this one city! Visiting Vatican City, admiring Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel, and actually seeing the Pope are events I won't easily forget.

Wow

The Pope!


In 40 hours, we packed in a lot of sight-seeing. Although I saw all of the main places I hoped to visit, I have no doubt a return trip to Rome is in my future. It was incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment