Sunday, November 13, 2011

Oh, what a night!

Wow - last night was one of those nights that reminded me just how lucky I am to work with the people I do! The MAIS (Mediterranean Association of International Schools) conference was held in Barcelona this past weekend and ASB sent 50 staff members to the conference. It was a great opportunity to attend workshops and enjoy some professional development. In addition, I was part of a presentation - my first at a conference!

In addition to teaching and learning, there was some definite fun provided as well! On Friday, many ASB teachers took visitors out to dinner, including Tessa and I. This was great opportunity to show off the city and delicious Spanish food, as well as talk with teachers from all over.

Last night was the gala dinner, hosted at the Hotel Rey Juan Carlos, one of the fanciest in Barcelona. Upon arrival, we were greeted with glasses of cava and led down a palm tree-lined path into a beautiful outdoor area. Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres were served there until we went inside for dinner and drinks. After dinner, there were flamenco dancers who were really good - it brought me back to Andalucia!



But, the best part of the night was definitely when the DJ started! Drinks were endlessly poured and the dance party began! I knew we had some good dancers at our school, but this was incredible! It was absolutely hilarious to watch dance-offs and crazy moves by many of our teachers, including our director and some older staff members. The best dance moves definitely belonged to Anne (not a surprise!), Alan, and Brett. It was SO much fun dancing for hours to a fabulous mix of music with this group. My body is a bit tired today, both from the dancing and the laughing!



Last night was a great reminder of why I love living and working here. Although I might get frustrated with things at times, the fact that I get to live in a city that takes enjoying life to a whole other level while working with such fun, amazing people makes it all worth it. I feel like a pretty lucky girl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment