Friday, August 7, 2009

One week down . . .

Well, I've survived my first week of CELTA training! Class is going really well. I love learning more about teaching - it really is an endless topic! I think I will be quite sad to leave our intermediate students. We're working with a group of 14, many of whom are in their mid to late 20s. The majority of our class is unemployed - it's amazing to see how the economy has affected so many people. These students are so motivated to learn English and don't hesitate to ask questions - model learners! They are also quite entertaining! One of my students, Alfonso, recently offered to take me on a bicycle tour of Seville so I could see the sights and practice my Spanish. He seemed a bit surprised when I didn't immediately write down his number! I told him I might after I knew him a bit better, which didn't stop him from asking again! Maybe next week . . . one has to love the forwardness of men in Spain!

It feels as though I've been in Seville (and the CLiC language center) for much longer than week - but in a really good way. It seems as though time just melts here. That's the only word we've been able to come up with that really describes it. We've already slipped into the Andalucian routine: late mornings, late meals, and late nights. We're lucky enough to have a roof top patio at our place and there are 4-6 of us who spend every night up there cooling off, eating dinner, having a few drinks, and learning more about each other. It's wonderful. I'm looking forward to going out with my household tonight for tapas (I've not had nearly enough Spanish food yet!) and a chance to explore Seville. I'll be sure to take some pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Jenny - I am so excited for you! This sounds like the beginning of an amazing adventure. Your adult students are very lucky to have you teaching them - just like our Crawford kids were!

    ReplyDelete