Sunday, May 5, 2013

This is Brazil!

Once Emily decided to move to Brazil from Switzerland last year, I knew I would be going to visit her. And this past February, I was lucky enough to journey to Rio to experience the original Carnaval - and wow, what a party it was!

Although there are many similarities between Spain and Brazil, the Brazilian culture definitely has a style and flavor all its' own. From the samba music being played in every bar, to the dancing in the streets, from the diversity of the people to the freshness of the fruit and juices, Brazil was like no place I've ever been.

Delicious agua de coco while strolling the beaches of Ipanema















We spent our first 4 nights in Rio to experience the craziness of Carnaval. We were able to go to the Sambodromo to watch the samba school competitions. I had NO idea that this was on such a grand scale - huge floats, thousands of dancers, and an hour performance per school - so impressive! 



In addition to this, we happened upon many street parades in different neighborhoods, which I really loved. Seeing the locals in their element was fantastic. We also spent time on the beaches of Ipanema and saw Copacabana - places I'd only heard about in songs. We visited the Christ the Redeemer statue, something I've always wanted to see.

an amazing street parade!





















Finally, we spent three nights in the lazy beach town of Buzios, a wonderful break from the craziness of Rio. The views, weather, and water were spectacular.















Overall, it was a trip to be remembered! I hope to have the opportunity to explore a bit more of Brazil in the future . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment