Sunday, May 29, 2011

Visca Barca!


Wow - what a weekend it has been in Barcelona! Last night was the Champions League Final between Manchester United and FC Barcelona. I'm happy to report that Barca won, and deservedly so!

Even though I feel like sports in general are watched more in the US, I have never seen anything like the support of football here in Spain. Being here for last year's World Cup began to show me the passion they have for it, but last night definitely confirmed it.

Arc de Triumf

We watched the game on big screens outside at Arc de Triumf, only about 10 minutes from where I live. I have no idea how many people were there, but it must have been thousands. There were equally as many in Plaza Catalunya. Barca chants, jerseys, and fans could be seen and heard everywhere. Fireworks were exploding and if I never hear the sound of a horn again, it might be too soon :) The party continued long into the morning and it sounded like more celebrating was happening outside my window just a few hours ago.

We were in this crowd somewhere!

Needless to say, it was a really exciting time to be in Barcelona! Although I miss NFL football and college basketball a lot, I have become a surprisingly big soccer fan. I think living in a country and city that love it so much, especially one that currently has the best player in the world in Messi, as well as after wins like the World Cup, La Liga, and now the Champions League, make it pretty easy. I can't wait to see what my football future holds!

Matias and I after the win!

1 comment:

  1. My kids were so excited this morning :) They are huge Messi fans and all watched the game in Hungary. I don't know how easy (or expensive) it is to go to a game...but I'd love to when I make it to Barcelona if it's possible :)

    ReplyDelete