Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Love Between Latin Men

I love watching Matias, and other Spanish and Latin men, interact with one another. Unlike most American men I know, they are so affectionate! Greetings between friends always include a hug, if not a cheek kiss as well. Phone conversations usually end with "un abrazo" or "un beso." And they so often put an arm around a shoulder, wrestle, or something similar.

I even see this with my students. The boys always sit right next to each other, often put an arm around a shoulder when having a "serious" conversation, and are just so affectionate. I love it! It's just so clear how not homophobic most males are. Although I'm sure American men love their friends just as much, they don't show it in the same ways. In fact, I bet many of them would be quite uncomfortable around some of the men here! Yet, it is a culture that makes feelings and emotions very transparent, and showing affection between friends and loved ones is evident for all to see. And if the men are that way with each other, one can just imagine how they are with women :) Another small difference that I love . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment