Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Uff!

(uff! = the Spanish equivalent of ugh!)

Wow - although I knew that "officially" moving abroad would be different than just moving to Spain in hopes of finding a job, I had no idea just how expensive it would prove to be!! Although I am getting money for relocation, it doesn't even put a dent in the expenses. For example:

$1,400 plane ticket
$100 for checking bags
$200 for shipping boxes
$200 on random things I can't buy in Spain
$3,600 for apartment deposits, fees, and rent

Whew! And the worst part is that I literally have no money now and will not get my first paycheck until the end of September! (And I am fully aware that it is my fault that I don't have more money saved.) I keep going through highs and lows with all of it as well. One day I think that it's not that big of deal - at least I have a job and I know I'll be making money soon. Other days I feel sick with the amount of debt I have accrued and how long it will take to pay it down.

All of this, compounded by the realization that I have to say goodbye to Indy and best friends in the next 48 hours AGAIN is making for a bit of an emotional roller coaster! It's amazing how bittersweet this living in Spain situation is. I am SO excited to return to Spain and my life there, yet so sad to leave everyone and everything again. Hopefully a few beers, good food, and laughs with friends at happy hour will help the day make a turn for the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment